Sunday, January 20, 2008

Programming collective intelligence – Toby Segaran

The best book in the market for people who want to get into data mining without going to school again. Perfect for me!

Very well written, no language wars, no technique wars. But I don't get the web 2.0 connection - probably using a buzzword because the editor as to? The order of the sections is well done; it goes like a story. Usually one means to have a good grasp and a high level view to put the chapters and sections in good order.

I do wish to code in the book had more comments, even though the snippets are small it is easy to lose track of what variable does what. There is no mention in the book about it but the cold is posted online on the author's blog. Download code (zip format).

I took two weeks to read through whatever I found interesting (about eight to nine chapters). I am now implementing the algorithms and playing with them, learning about them, getting familiar with them.

I will provide updates as I make progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment